Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Getting Ready to Juice Fast




You want to get psyched up and motivated with a positive attitude going into a juice fast. You will need a juicer and a supplier for all the fruits and vegetables you will need, preferably organic. In my area there are farmers markets but other great sources for the hundreds of pounds of juicing material you will need are buyer's clubs, csa's (community supported agriculture) and don't forget farms in your area, many who will sell you bulk produce for much less than your average grocery store prices. If you talk to your grocer they may even be willing to buy bulk vegetables and fruits and give you a case discount. You will want to buy the freshest produce you can find in your area and you will want to buy as many different kinds of fruits and vegetables as you can. When you juice all day you crave variety for your palate but your body also needs variety to be healthy.

You will need to find a juicer. There are many available and I have tried several. In my opinion you will be much more likely to succeed and stay the course if you invest in an easy to use and easy to clean model of juicer. On my first juice fast I brought out and dusted off my old trusty, heavy duty juicer. It has many parts,
is difficult to take apart and put together, takes up a lot of space and takes a very long time to use--45 minutes per juice. I would juice a half gallon at a time to save time cleaning and putting together this juicer--I quickly remembered why it had been gathering dust all this time. Getting home exhausted and starving from work would throw me into a tizzy...I had to get all the vegetables and fruits out, peel, cut and wash a table full of produce and then spend 20 minutes feeding the machine before I could have a juice that would make me feel human again.

Our next purchase was a vitamix. It is an excellent machine and if you can afford to, you should invest in one for after you are done juicing. Hardly a day goes by when I don't use the vitamix. I can make healthy "ice cream" for my kids, soups in minutes and smoothies that give a boost of nutrition to our eating. The only problem is that they are not as concentrated as the juice you will be drinking and you may come up short. These concentrated vitamins and minerals take care of cravings and fortify your body to heal.


I recommend investing in a Brevel juicer. Starting at
around $150, it makes juicing a fast and easy process. This will be very important as you go through those moments where you really don't want to continue. When I arrive home tired and hungry there is almost no prep involved to get from vegetables to juice. Most things can be put through whole--whole apples, whole tomatoes, whole sweep potatoes, whole beets, whole bell peppers--and the rest need minimal peeling and slicing. The entire process takes about 20 minutes from start to finish--prep to clean up. The ease of use will help you maintain your resolve and the juice produced will help fight off any cravings. It amazes me to this day that juice will make a chocoholic like me lose any urge to eat chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment